10.7K views

After forming a new HVAC contracting company, I was solicited by telephone by HomeAdvisor. Some smooth talking salesman said for less than a $300.00 annual fee, HomeAdvisor would provide me with leads to potential customers.

He didn't give me too many details. All I was told was the leads would cost me between $15-$30 per lead. Sounds good? Right?

WRONG!!! What he failed to mention is that the same leads are given to multiple contractors and you get charged per lead whether you get the job or not. The first two leads I received were BOGUS. I was given fake names and addresses to buildings that didn't exist.

After finding this out I called to cancel, but was given the run-around by the two clowns I talked to. They got me so pissed off after just being in business for a few days, I hung up on them. I then contacted the credit card company and disputed the $300.00 fee they charged my account.

I used a credit card rather than a debit card just to give me a way out in case it turned out to be a SCAM!, which it is.

Contractors; do yourself a favor: STAY AWAY FROM THESE FRAUDS!!! Spend your advertising money elsewhere; like a newspaper ad, flyers, yellowpages.

If theses guys had any heart, they'd be out stealing for a living!!!

Product or Service Mentioned: Homeadvisor Leads.

Comments

I am in complete agreement with other contractor's comments. Their sales people are high pressure, they indicate that the leads will be only $33.00 and that you have the choice to decline the lead.

There is an annual fee of $350.00 plus they want you to subscribe to other services that are even higher priced. Before getting off the phone with the sales person a lead came in, the service was never confirmed, the website was never accessed, no user account was ever set up. This was verified with what they call a customer service department. They are now charging us $47.00 for the lead, not $33.00.

We are receiving threatening letters about collections and their supervisor in a telephone conversation said if we think we have problems now just wait. They will turn it over to collections and ruin our credit. This company is about high pressure sales, threats and intimidation. All contractors should beware of the service, find other avenues to obtain business.

If you talk to them do not agree to anything and do not give them your credit, debit card or any bank information. You will regret it.

I’m not a contractor but have called contractors referred by home advisor; they never return calls! U can’t even pay people to work any more.

My lead was valid but not one contractor called or emailed me back.

Not even the courtesy of a reply saying, perhaps, that wasn’t a job they normally do. Nothing!

I had the same happen to me false leads

Yes you are right! I got trick in to the same thing... noone ever mentioned anything about lead fee to me and especially anything about different jobs This is a BIGGEST SCAM!!!!

The same thing happened to me how do you get them to take you off the contractor list for good

#1520686

Are you a service provider that wants real ROI. I can show you first hand how do get homeowner and business owners to call youBradNative Rank

RightJackdaw
#1519358

join the RICO class action against them

I agree, this company is a scam. I signed up and after a few leads that were way more expensive than Scott Carter told me they were going to be I tried to cancel my subscription.

That worked for a while, but they didn't really close the account, they just put it on hold. A few weeks ago in the middle of a Friday night my phone went off with two leads. I immediately logged in and paused leads until Monday when someone was in the office to close the account.

Now two months later they are sending me a bill, so I have been sitting on hold for 30 minutes waiting to talk to someone that can get this straightened out. Contractors, stay away from this company.

to David J #1565729

Did they try to send you final notice for your payment due? Same thing happened to me

True true true! We experienced one lie after another, bogus leads, mis information or none at all.

I found the same thing as a contractor for home advisors.

Huge ripoff !Said they would stop drafting my CC and kept on & on !

DO NOT AT ALL SIGN UP WITH THEM, HORRIBLE. IN THE END THE JOBS YOU MIGHT GET YOU WILL END UP HAVING TO PAY FOR THE LEADS.

NOT A PROFIT AT ALL. STAY AWAY!!!

Home Advisor is a RIP OFF to contractors. $52 per lead, with four companies receiving the same lead. Home Advisor makes more $$$ than the contractors who actually do the work on small projects.Home Advisor should be force to disclose to the customer that each contractor is paying for their name.

Same happen to me. Kept calling me wanting me to sign up saying they had multiple jobs in my area so i finally decided to try it.

Once i signed up they didnt send me anything. Then finally after a few calls i got one lead and the lead wouldnt return my call. Disputed it with my Credit card and got the money back. Home advisor sent me to collections.

I told them I'm not paying and they have been calling me for about 7 months lol. The collectors said my contract only gives me 3 days to cancel. In 3 days you dont have enough time to give them a chance. I never got a contract.

They said there not obligated.

It's on there website the terms. They are a joke.

to Kyle forbes #1464077

They sent me to collections too. Wondering if it will show up on my credit (they don't have my social though).

I filed a report with the Federal Trade Commission and my local Attorney General. If it shows up on my credit I will be livid.

to Kyle forbes #1499513

Same exact thing here - I can’t understand how they’re still operating ! Total scam

I never fell for their nonsense but what really got me was when I had somebody check to see who they had signed up it was a couple of guys I wouldn't hire to take my trash out.

My experience would support the negative reviews shown here!

the sales people will Tell You *** Anything You Want To Hear.the terms and conditions is what you need to read.cancel within 72 hours of signing up and you'll be fine.any longer than that though and they've got their fangs in.