Update added by user Jul 20, 2015
The actual work was done in Westbrook, Maine by Mr. Handyman of Portland and not Sanford, ME York County - my mistake in filling out form. would not recommend this outfit at all.
Original review posted by user Jul 19, 2015
Handyman Service, Portland, Maine
I hired Tracy Hayes from Home Advisor (Portland, ME) to repair my deck as per the original deck design. I wanted pressure treated wood, I specified that special hardware/screws/nails had to be used w/pressure treated wood and I sent him a picture before he ever went over to look at the deck so he would know EXACTLY what I wanted. The deck is nothing like I asked for, the correct hardware was not used, regular nails were used and are already rusting. his 'TECHS' had to return numerous times to redo the job because it was such a mess, the access door under the deck was overlooked and not replaced, the lattice looked like it had been cut w/a chainsaw, the landing coming out on to the deck was less than half the size of the original landing and was a hazard to people falling from it. he then gave me what he said was the final bill and had charged me over and above the original estimate, which was the highest end of the graph that Home Advisor has on their site and because he didn't do ANYTHING that I requested he called his TECHS having to go back for 'ADD-ONS', they were not Add-ons, they had to go back to fix/redo, the sloppy, shoddy work that they rushed thru and expected me to pay for their lack of ethics and ability to build a simple deck. On 7/2/15 I met w/Tracy and had him add a middle stabilizer to the front and back stairs as they sagged when stepped on. deck boards are split, the front stair support is split, trim around the 4x4's is not pressure treated and is not secured; I can move it w/my hand. Nothing was done right and I got lies and excuses about everything. I did pay him but only the original estimate but on further inspection I’m finding more rusting of hardware. This deck is going to end up falling apart. I have all his emails, pictures of the disaster that was/is my deck; I want to talk/hear from someone at Home Advisors about this costly disaster. He should be ashamed of himself calling this a deck repair. It’s a deck disaster just waiting to rust away.
More Review Details
What I liked
What I disliked
- Shoddy workmanship
- Reason of review:
- substandard workmanship
- Preferred solution:
- Full refund
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Deck Repair
- Review category
- Building Products
You May Also Like
- "We purchased our home last year from a seller who had done a significant amount of remodeling using Alside windows. ALL 7 replaced windows now have failed seals and moisture..."
- "I purchased a metal frame building from Versa Tube, which their engineers designed for the area of Minnesota I live in. The building collapsed! I purchased a VersaTube metal frame..."
- "When my dad said he was paying over 2k for two upper runs & a downspout I tried to talk him out of it, but he wanted our house to..."
- "Bait and switch. Showed a picture of a lovely arrangement - "Glorious Garden" and even paid to upgrade it to the max. But what was delivered was small, pathetic and..."
- "Saw a auction with several tool boxes for sale. The description stated "lista style" tool storage cabinet. Knowing "lista" boxes are extremely expensive and well built and known to..."
- "Be careful buying things of offer up!! Just moved into my NEW apartment and I bought a sectional couch, came with a chair... I wondered why the price was so..."
- "I ordered a blueprint and what I got was a black and white copy of a "blueprint". It's blurry and not worth mounting much less displaying. You..."
- "My van was repossessed over 468.00 on 10/26/16 while i was on the phone with Westlake trying to make a payment. The repo driver hooked the vehicle so the agent..."